Saturday, January 06, 2007

Embracing Uncertainty

All we know for sure is that we don't know for sure.

Over a decade ago, a dear friend gave me a copy of Margaret Wheatley's masterwork, "Leadership and the New Science". I remember reading it for the first time, my mind practically exploding with new ideas - to the point that I could only go for a few pages at a time, and had to stop to reflect on what I had just read.

Facing a long series of plane flights, for some reason I was inspired to find my old copy and bring it along for the trip. I hoped that this second reading, after so much time had passed, would offer some of the thrill of the first. I'm 50 pages in and definitely not disappointed.

One theme of the book is the interplay between "things" and their "relationships". Wheatley characterizes Newtonian thinking as being focused on "materialism and reductionism" - isolating things into discrete elements that can then be examined and described as independent items. She refers to "new science" as that collection of disciplines that represent "... underlying currents [that] are a movement towards holism, toward understanding the system as a system and giving primary value to the relationships that exist among seemingly discrete parts". As an illustration, she shares a quote attributed as an ancient Sufi teaching that "You think that because you understand one you must understand two, because one and one makes two. But you must also understand and".

What I've read so far has made me think a lot about things that appear on the surface to be paradoxes, or dualities, or forces in tension that seem to want to be balanced. Having grown up as an engineer, it's natural for me to look for answers, to seek solutions, to boil things down to distill what appears to be the root truth. But what I've learned is that certainty only comes in stick figure form, that anything that's worth thinking about is too rich to be distilled to simple elements. There is no either/or, no truth to be found at either end of the spectrum. Anything that appears to be forces in tension resolves not in either direction, but in a new vector that points to an unseen and larger force.

In this respect, certainty is not something to be sought out, it is an enemy to be avoided. Seeking answers is a path to insignificance - seeking questions is a journey to be embraced.

May you live in perpetual confusion and disorder, for here all that is beautiful awaits. And here you may find the truths that cannot be known with certainty.

No comments: